Friday, February 11, 2011

His word, my delight!

There are some times when spending time in God's word is more an act of discipline and obedience. Then there are some days when I am reading and with every page I turn (from Old Testament, to the Psalms/Proverbs, to the New Testament), I am aware of how truly alive and active God's word is. I'm humbled and amazed. Every word is life. Today was one of those days. 


As I read through The One Year Bible (NLT version), I love to see God's perfect plan for Redemption throughout all time as I currently read and am encouraged by Moses' relationship with God, see this Holy God relate with the sinful Israelites; I relate with the Psalmist as I see my sin, God's character, and my need for Him/to praise Him; and finally the prophecy's of a coming Savior being fulfilled, seen in the life of Jesus - currently being betrayed by His followers & confirming prophecy as He remains silent before His accusers. We are sinful people who, like the Israelites, become impatient when we don't have clear guidance and resort to idol worship, yet because of Christ's finished work on the Christ - the ultimate act of Redemption, we, the same sinful people, can have a relationship with the God who "merely spoke and the heavens were created" (Psalm 33:6-9), the God who formed us in our mother's womb (Psalm 139:13-16), the God who because of His great love for us, sent His Son (John 3:16-17), the very image of Himself, to live a sinless life and die an undeserving death to bring the very people who sold themselves to sin and idolatry to Himself. This God who related with Moses is the same God whom the Psalmist sings/cries about; He is the same God who walked our earth, was betrayed, and is the same God who relates with us today He is the same yesterday, today, and forever and His word is living, active, and trustworthy:

Exodus | The Sabbath

The Lord then gave these instructions to Moses: “Tell the people of Israel: ‘Be careful to keep my Sabbath day, for the Sabbath is a sign of the covenant between me and you from generation to generation. It is given so you may know that I am the Lord, who makes you holy. You must keep the Sabbath day, for it is a holy day for you...It is a permanent sign of my covenant with the people of Israel. For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, but on the seventh day he stopped working and was refreshed.’” Exodus 31:12-14a,17

Exodus | God relating with Moses
As [Moses] went into the [Tent of Meeting], the pillar of cloud would come down and hover at its entrance while the Lord spoke with Moses...Inside the Tent of Meeting, the Lord would speak to Moses face to face, as one speaks to a friend...One day Moses said to the Lord, “You have been telling me, ‘Take these people up to the Promised Land.’ But you haven’t told me whom you will send with me. You have told me, ‘I know you by name, and I look favorably on you.’ If it is true that you look favorably on me, let me know your ways so I may understand you more fully and continue to enjoy your favor. And remember that this nation is your very own people.” The Lord replied, “I will personally go with you, Moses, and I will give you rest—everything will be fine for you.”
Then Moses said, “If you don’t personally go with us, don’t make us leave this place. How will anyone know that you look favorably on me—on me and on your people—if you don’t go with us? For your presence among us sets your people and me apart from all other people on the earth.”
The Lord replied to Moses, “I will indeed do what you have asked, for I look favorably on you, and I know you by name.”
Moses responded, “Then show me your glorious presence.”
The Lord replied, “I will make all my goodness pass before you, and I will call out my name, Yahweh, before you. For I will show mercy to anyone I choose, and I will show compassion to anyone I choose." Exodus 33:8, 11a, 12-19


Psalm 32
Oh, what joy for those
      whose disobedience is forgiven,
      whose sin is put out of sight!

Yes, what joy for those
      whose record the Lord has cleared of guilt,
      whose lives are lived in complete honesty!
When I refused to confess my sin,
      my body wasted away,
      and I groaned all day long.
Day and night your hand of discipline was heavy on me.
      My strength evaporated like water in the summer heat.
                         Interlude

Finally, I confessed all my sins to you
      and stopped trying to hide my guilt.
   I said to myself, “I will confess my rebellion to the Lord.”
      And you forgave me! All my guilt is gone.

                         Interlude

Therefore, let all the godly pray to you while there is still time,
      that they may not drown in the floodwaters of judgment.
For you are my hiding place;
      you protect me from trouble.
      You surround me with songs of victory.
                         Interlude

The Lord says, “I will guide you along the best pathway for your life.
      I will advise you and watch over you.

Do not be like a senseless horse or mule
      that needs a bit and bridle to keep it under control.”

Many sorrows come to the wicked,
      but unfailing love surrounds those who trust the Lord.
So rejoice in the Lord and be glad, all you who obey him!
      Shout for joy, all you whose hearts are pure



Psalm 33

Let the godly sing for joy to the Lord;
      it is fitting for the pure to praise him.

Praise the Lord with melodies on the lyre;
      make music for him on the ten-stringed harp.
Sing a new song of praise to him;
      play skillfully on the harp, and sing with joy.
For the word of the Lord holds true,
      and we can trust everything he does
.
He loves whatever is just and good;
      the unfailing love of the Lord fills the earth.

The Lord merely spoke,
      and the heavens were created.
   He breathed the word,
      and all the stars were born
.
He assigned the sea its boundaries
      and locked the oceans in vast reservoirs.
Let the whole world fear the Lord,
      and let everyone stand in awe of him.
For when he spoke, the world began!
      It appeared at his command.

The Lord frustrates the plans of the nations
      and thwarts all their schemes.

But the Lord’s plans stand firm forever;
      his intentions can never be shaken.

What joy for the nation whose God is the Lord,
      whose people he has chosen as his inheritance.

The Lord looks down from heaven
      and sees the whole human race.
From his throne he observes
      all who live on the earth.
He made their hearts,
      so he understands everything they do
.

The best-equipped army cannot save a king,
      nor is great strength enough to save a warrior.
Don’t count on your warhorse to give you victory—
      for all its strength, it cannot save you.

But the Lord watches over those who fear him,
      those who rely on his unfailing love.

He rescues them from death
      and keeps them alive in times of famine.

We put our hope in the Lord.
      He is our help and our shield.
In him our hearts rejoice,
      for we trust in his holy name.
Let your unfailing love surround us, Lord,
      for our hope is in you alone.



Proverbs 8:27-36

"I was there when he set the heavens in place,
   when he marked out the horizon on the face of the deep, 

 when he established the clouds above
   and fixed securely the fountains of the deep,
when he gave the sea its boundary
   so the waters would not overstep his command,
and when he marked out the foundations of the earth
.
 Then I was constantly at his side.
I was filled with delight day after day,
   rejoicing always in his presence
,
 rejoicing in his whole world
   and delighting in mankind
.

 “Now then, my children, listen to me;
   blessed are those who keep my ways.
Listen to my instruction and be wise;
   do not disregard it.
Blessed are those who listen to me,
   watching daily at my doors,
   waiting at my doorway.
For those who find me find life
   and receive favor from the LORD
.
But those who fail to find me harm themselves;
   all who hate me love death.”




('I' - wisdom - was there...the Holy Spirit...see John 1)

I'm speechless. I merely delight in His word!

No comments:

Post a Comment

redeemer


MusicPlaylistView Profile
Create a playlist at MixPod.com